Saturday, July 29, 2006

Questions about Tunisia?

I wanted to discuss my perception of the pace of things in Tunisia. I am concerned that my few encounters with the system and a few people in the last ten years are not representative of the general way of doing things in the country where I am from and where I grew up. I would love to think that my few experiences are not representative of the 21st Century Tunisia. These are my questions:

-why does tomorrow means next week? And why does 8:00 AM means 10:00 AM?
-why are there white lies?
-why do people say they can when they can't?
-why does everybody have an opinion on everything?
-why does everybody understands (in fact they think they understand) geopolitics and world affairs?
-why are business and success suspicious?
-why do people say the same things several times in the same sentences?
-why what region you come from matters that much (sfaxi vs. sahli vs. Djerbi vs Beldi etc)?
-why is the weather important?
-why does every sentence has to have a proverb in it?
-why is it cool, hip, sophisticated to use French sentences?
-why do we say we are Arabs when the Arabs are one of the people that colonized us? why don't we say we are Turkish (they ruled us for three centuries), or French, or Romains or phonenicans?

Clearly these are some funny observations and are not intended to offend the sensitivity of my fellow country men and women...

1 Comments:

At 4:54 AM, Blogger rasta_raf said...

8hr ne vuet pas dire forcément 10hr .. en tout cas avec mes amis ( mas tous ) il vaut mieu arriver ( à peu prés à l'heure .. )
Il ne faut pas oublier le problème des embouteillages, on n'estp as en Suede ou le bus arrive à la minute prés.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home