Sunday, July 23, 2006

Summer Vacations in Tunisia

I am going home this summer for vacations and I am having some apprehensions!!!
Can I learn to chill and enjoy "nothingness"? I have invented this word to describe one of the best past time in Tunisia. Here they call it hanging out or chilling out. I guess all cultures/ countries have some nothingness built into their social make up. I am eluding to the preponderance of nothingness in Tunisia. Whether it's sitting at a coffee shop (shooting the breeze), waiting for somebody to show up for a late appointment or a show to start, embarking in silly impassioned debates over soccer, it seems to me that in Tunisia we do a lot of nothingness.
Don't get me wrong there is ample situations and time for nothingness here (for example watching stupid reality TV shows), however the major difference is nothingness is a choice, not a way of life, you can avoid it.

I guess I am diverging. I am literally stressed out for not having an exact plan for everyday of my vacation. My family in Tunisia is championing the play it by ear approach...

I will have to wait and see....
I keep telling myself the secret of life is to be nimble and adopt to your environment (as the famous saying goes, when in Rome...) . I have to adjust back to Tunisia way of life at least for two weeks...

1 Comments:

At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can undertand that your imagination might sometimes be blocked as regards the way you fill your empty time, but what i don't understand is the fact that you describe farniente( it used to be an italiann word not tunisian by the way fare niente) as the best past time in Tunisia as if in your place there nobody embarked in silly impassioned debates over soccer, cows and booze. It seems to me that the people you know in Tunisia have nothing to do! and they do not represent the tunisian society.
I do sometimes watch very stupid reality TV shows, but i also do many other things.
I really waited for you to give me a lesson on how i can avoid farniente after hard work, i'm still waiting.
One question, in Houston does your tv channels cover Tv shows?. Cause what i know is that a lot of tv shows are american , they create it, sell it out to other countries like france.
But instead of being literally stressed out for not having an exact plan for everyday of your vacation, try to meet interesting people, i know tunisians love farniente but, i'm sure you can find one or two not that stupid and ignorant tunisians.
Pls excuse my english i might do some mistakes, it's only my second foreign language.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home